Rotary District 1520
THE HISTORY OF DISTRICT 1520, France
A Part of Our History of Rotary in Europe
Also, the start of Rotary in France
Prepared by the district and not verified by Rotary Global History
It was not until the end of World War I that Rotary began developing in Europe.
The Paris Club received its charter in 1921, being the first French club and the 905th Rotary club in the world.
In 1923, two new clubs saw the day: Toulouse and Lyon. In 1924 created the fourth French club, that of Nice.
The leaders of RI Do not wait until the birth of a fifth club to create the District 49, which was born in 1929 and remains the only district in France until 1936. The district covered all of France and North Africa. The first was Governor Frank Marcel who remained in that position for 3 years.
In 1927 the first club in our region, the Rotary Club of Lille.
France was later divided into three districts, and our area, the northern part of France, remained as District 49 while the two other districts took responsibility for other parts of our Country.
The first club of our current district is created in 1934, it is BOULOGNE-SUR-MER
In 1937 it was a Frenchman, Maurice Duperrey from the Rotary Club of Paris who became President of Rotary International while no other of our compatriots has held this position since.
Also in 1937, the three French districts will hold a joint District Conference in Paris.
On 6 January 1947, Paul Harris died in Chicago at the age of 79 years. At that time there were 6000 Rotary Clubs and nearly 250,000 members.
From 1949 to 1955, France has 5 districts and our region becomes District 70. At 30 June 1955, we have a total of a total of 24 clubs. Rotary International also celebrates its 50th anniversary in 1955.
From 1955 to 1991, Rotary has seen considerable expansion throughout France and there is a new division of the territory into 8 districts. We integrate with District 167. Then in 1991, the central administration conducts a district re-numbering into four figures. At this time, there are now 15 districts in France and our district becomes the District 1670 with 73 clubs and 2730 Rotarians (We must note that since since 1989, the legislation has provided an opportunity for clubs to admit women as members).
This district system remained until the partition into 2 districts on July 1 1998:
District 1670 comprises the eastern part of the department of Nord, Aisne and the Ardennes, with about 1,500 Rotarians in 45 clubs and the District 1520 with the North West, the Pas-de-Calais and the Somme, with 1480 members in 44 clubs.
This distribution into 18 districts in metropolitan France should no longer deal with change.
Rotary International therefore emerged in our region in 1927 and today it still brings together men and women united by the same ideal of SERVE First focusing on friendship and helping others . The District is presently divided further into 8 sub-districts or Groups.
Authored by Guy DELATTRE, Secretary General of District 1520
Additional material provided by RGHF zone 11 board member DG 11/12 Jean VISTE, France with assistance from RGHF member Dr Jean Pierre COUDERT Posted 19 March 2010 by Jack Selway
acknowledgements to Google, the Board, Clubs, Members and Webmaster of the District
posted by RGHF Webmaster Greg Barlow. October 2008