Rotary District 1440
THE HISTORY OF DISTRICT 1440
Denmark and the Faeroe Islands
A Part of Our History of Rotary in Europe
Prepared by the district and not verified by Rotary Global History Fellowship
The first Danish Rotary Club - Copenhagen Rotary Club - was organized 30 November 1921 and received its charter on 3 August 1922.
Over the next 8 years the following new clubs were established - Århus (1923), Korsør and Ålborg (1925), Kolding and Odense (1927), Nakskov, Nykøbing F. and Randers (1928), Maribo, Slagelse and Vejle (1929).
On 15 March 1930 Rotary International established District 75 covering the whole of Denmark. Later, this district was to include the Faeroe Islands and Greenland.
During the 2nd World War Rotary was forced to cease its activities in many European countries. In some countries it was directly forbidden to meet, and in Denmark it was considered that it is right not to meet officially.
Immediately after 1945 could again be addressed to create new clubs. The need was great, and therefore it was necessary to divide the country into three districts, namely 80, 81 and 82.
In 1950 these three districts were renamed Districts 147, 146 and 145.
In 1968, District 147 was split into two districts with the creation of the new District 148.
In 1972 another new district was unveiled - District 144, while there were simultaneous border adjustments in Jutland.
Then there were 5 districts - a number that also fits today
From 1 July 1991, the RI of computer terms put a zero on all district numbers.
In Denmark we have now:
West County, Roskilde County and County Storstrøms
this page is incomplete at October 2008 as we await further information
acknowledgements to Rotary Danmark and all associated
posted by RGHF Webmaster Greg Barlow. October 2008