Rotary District 1230
THE DISTRICT 1230 HISTORY
Prepared by the district and not verified by Rotary Global History
ROTARY INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT 1230 - A BRIEF HISTORY
Rotary in Scotland started in 1912 when the Rotary Club of Glasgow (International Club Number 60) received it’s Charter. It was quickly followed by the Rotary Club of Edinburgh (International Club Number 62) which received it’s Charter the same year.
Other Clubs followed and when the number had risen to eight Scotland consisted of one District covering a large area under the jurisdiction of the “Scottish District Council”.
By 1922 the number of Clubs had increased to 11 and Scotland was designated Districts 1 and 2.
A period of rapid expansion followed and by June 1951 the number of Clubs was so great that Districts 1 and 2 were separated into two separate Districts, namely District Number 1 and District Number 2.
In June 1957 the two Districts were re-numbered as Districts 101 and 102 respectively. District 101 covered roughly the northern half of Scotland and District 102 the southern half.
District 101 covered an area of approximately 33,250 square miles from Dunfermline in the south to the Shetland Islands in the north and from Stornoway in the Western Isles to Peterhead, near Aberdeen, in the east.
District 102 covered an area of approximately 31,500 square miles from Kirkcudbright in the south to Fort William in the north and from Oban in the west to Dunbar in the east.
By 1967 there were 42 Clubs with 2174 members in District 101 and 56 Clubs with 2428 members in District 102.
It was becoming very difficult for the District Governors in Scotland to carry out their duties because of the long distances to be travelled when visiting Clubs, so, in 1971/1972, it was decided to re-district once again and Scotland became three separate Districts, numbered 101, 102 and 123 respectively.
In 1990 the three Districts were again re-numbered as District 1010 (formerly District 101), District 1020 (formerly District 102) and District 1230 (formerly District 123), all of which still stand today.
As of April 2007, District 1230, with a total of 56 Clubs, covers an area including much of the West of Scotland, the City of Glasgow and the Counties of Argyllshire, Ayrshire, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Stirlingshire and Wigtownshire. It includes two Island Clubs, Rothesay on the Island of Bute and Arran on the island of the same name. Most of the Clubs lie within Strathclyde Region.
ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTIONS
District 1230 and it’s ancestors have been privileged to host two International Conventions:
In June 1921, the Twelfth Annual Convention of the International Association of Rotary Clubs, the first International Convention of Rotary to be held outside the United States of America was held in the City of Edinburgh when 2523 delegates registered.
This was momentous occasion for Rotary in Great Britain and Ireland as matters discussed included possible constitutional changes.
The clubs in Britain and Ireland then petitioned for recognition as a national or territorial unit and their petition was granted by a resolution approved at the International Convention of Rotary International held in Los Angeles, California, USA in 1922. The clubs in Britain and Ireland thereby lost their identity as the then International District No. 24 and became “Rotary International-Association for Great Britain and Ireland” (which has been shortened over time to Rotary International-Britain and Ireland, or RIBI)
RIBI is the only unit established under the provisions for national or territorial units as adopted at the Los Angeles Convention in 1922 and District 1230 is proud of the part played by it’s ancestors in promoting and achieving this.
In June 1997 the Annual Convention was held in the City of Glasgow when 24300 delegates registered, one of the highest attendances ever at an Annual Convention. Rotarians throughout the world praised this Convention as being one of the best and most successful ever.
RIBI ANNUAL CONFERENCES
The District and it’s ancestors have also been privileged to host two Annual Conferences of RIBI (and it’s predecessor):
The District and/or it’s ancestors also held the 11th Annual Conference of the Rotary International Association for Great Britain and Ireland (now called RIBI) in Edinburgh from 10th to 15th May 1930
The 67th Annual Conference of RIBI was held in Glasgow in 2002
The District encompasses a wide variety of communities ranging from city, towns, and villages located in urban, rural, coastal and island areas.
It has therefore been fortunate to attract members with a wide range of skills each of whom has greatly contributed to the success of Rotary and to their Communities both locally and internationally.
DISTINGUISHED MEMBERS, GUESTS AND VISITORS TO THE DISTRICT
Over the years we have been welcomed to the District many distinguished Rotarians and other personages, too many to detail but a few were:
Paul Harris - The Founder of Rotary
Paul, whose wife Jean came from Edinburgh, made several trips to the United Kingdom. In his tours of 1928 and 1934 he included visits to several Scottish Clubs including Glasgow, Paisley and Ayr, each of which lies within District 1230.
Her Royal Highness, The Princess Anne, Mrs Mark Phillips
The Princess visited Glasgow and, on 15th February 1986, was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship and, as President of the Save the Children Fund, was presented with a District cheque for $30000 for that Fund.
. Sir Harry Lauder
The international star entertainer was a long-standing member of the Rotary Club of Glasgow and a personal friend of Paul Harris.
Rt. Honourable W Menzies Campbell – Current Leader of the Liberal Democrat Political Party
The former International Athlete and current leader of the Liberal Democratic Political Party was a Foundation Scholar sponsored by District 102 in the year 1966/67. He addressed the District Annual Conference held in Aviemore, Scotland
Presidents of Rotary International
Over the years, we have welcomed many Presidents of Rotary International including
RI President 1963-64 Carl P Miller, Los Angeles, California, USA
One of our District Golf Trophies is named. after him
RI President 1966-67 Richard L Evans, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
President Richard visited the District and the Rotary Club of East Kilbride on 2nd June 1967
RI President 1985-86 Edward F Cadman, Washington, USA
President Ed attended the District Annual Conference of District 123 held at Aviemore on 4th to 6th October 1985, becoming the first reigning RI President to attend any RIBI District Conference. To mark his presence an annual trophy was announced. This annual award would be made to the Club which was judged to have done the most meritorious deed in it’s community. President Ed presented the Trophy to the first winners The Rotary Club of Cambuslang . Rotarian John McLaughlan of Renfrew created the Trophy..
RI President 1988-89 Royce Abbey, Victoria, Australia
President Royce made a very successful visit on 26th April 1989
RI President 1996-97 Luis Vincente Giay Buenos Aires, Argentina
President Luis presided over the International Convention held that year in Glasgow, Scotland
RI President 2001-02 Richard D King, California, USA
President Rick attended the Annual Conference of RIBI held in Glasgow in 2002
PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES
The District participates in a wide range of activities covering all avenues of service.
To fully describe these would take an inordinate amount of space but a few activities have been:
· Since 1955, the organisation of an International Youth Rally (usually over a fourteen day period) for young teenagers.
· Since 1956, with few exceptions, a fellowship event whereby Rotarians in Scotland and Canada (and also the US in the past) compete in a Curling Tour of their countries in alternate years. The participants reside usually with fellow Rotarians in the opposite country.
· They are enthusiastic supporters of Rotary Foundation and participate almost every year in the Ambassadorial Scholarship and Group Study Exchange Programmes.
· They were very high contributors to the Polio Plus Programme and are strong supporters of numerous other projects with an International Flavour such as Water Aid, Sight Savers, Shoe Boxes, Emergency and Other Boxes and Mercy Ships.
· They are proud of the efforts made by their members in both fundraising and other efforts. These are too many to mention but three particularly noteworthy activities were:
1. A Rotary Club Dog Rally in 1980 to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Rotary when 35 guide dogs were presented to The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association together with a cheque for £35,000 to help train the dogs for a year.
2. A coordinated effort by the Clubs to support the RIBI Preferred project in support of the Childrens’ Hospice Association, when in excess of £100,000 was raised by clubs in the District.
3. The instant rallying and support that the Clubs gave to fund raise over the Christmas holiday period and beyond in support of the Tsunami Disaster in 2004.
Much has been said about the ideals and activities of Rotary but these are so well epitomised by District 1230, one of the oldest Districts, whose members so readily show by deeds and actions just how much Rotary Cares.
Prepared by PDG Ian H Campbell
30th April 2007
Posted by RGHF Senior Historian Basil Lewis (UK) 7 May 2007
The 1955 Golden Anniversary of Rotary
The Hamilton and Strathaven Rotary Clubs